Recipe by The National Turkey Federation
1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
2. Peel skin from lemons and limes to make rose garnishes (see step 11 for directions). Reserve in refrigerator.
3. Squeeze enough juice from the lemons and limes to equal 2 tablespoons each. Cut remaining lemons and limes in half and place in the turkey cavity. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt in the cavity.
4. In a small bowl, mix the wine, brown sugar and citrus juices; reserve for glaze.
5. Gently loosen skin from turkey breast without totally detaching the skin and carefully place 1 tablespoon each fresh sage, marjoram and thyme under the skin. Replace skin.
6. Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with 1 or 2 skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
7. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2-1/2 inches deep) roasting pan. Rub turkey with remaining salt, pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Insert oven-safe food thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch bone.
8. Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3-3/4 hours. During the last hour of roasting time, baste with pan drippings. During the last 30 minutes, baste with citrus glaze. Loosely cover with lightweight foil to prevent excessive browning. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 175 degrees F in the thigh.
9. Remove turkey from the oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
10. Place on a warm large platter and garnish platter with remaining fresh herbs and lemon and lime roses.
11. Prepare lemon and lime roses as follows: with a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut a continuous thin 1-inch strip of peel. Avoid cutting into white pith. Roll tightly, skin inside out and secure with toothpicks. Reserve in a bowl filled with ice water until time for service.
Provides 22 servings at 6 ounces per portion.